Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mr and Mrs Potato Head

A short disclaimer before I begin:  This is this year's Valentine entry, and might be mushier than some of you may stomach :)

This is my 5th Valentine's with my special someone.  It feels great.  We are relaxed around each other, and we can just sit together in the same room doing our own thing without having to be mushy all the time.  In a way I'd say we are like an old couple, completely comfortable in the way we have grown together.  

So for Valentine's this year, I decided to paint on my nails a couple which to me looks like an old married couple: Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head.

Mr and Mrs Potato Head
For this design, I used two coats each of Frozen Lemonade and Manhattan Mink, both from Dazzle Dry.  I then used a detailing brush and acrylic paints to design the nails.

Holding Frozen Lemonade
Frozen Lemonade is a very light yellow.  I love the way it looks against my skin, actually.  It looks fresh without being too bright.  For this design, it was a toss-up between Frozen Lemonade and Sahara (also from DD), which is a brighter shade of yellow.  I opted for Frozen Lemonade though, as bright yellow might be too much of a contrast with Manhattan Mink.  It turned up to be a wise choice.  Frozen Lemonade is the perfect compliment to the rich brown that is Manhattan Mink.

Frozen Lemonade can be quite difficult to apply though.  As you can see from the pictures, I wasn't able to bring the edges near my cuticles.  Whenever I go too near, I ended up with messy looking edges.  I think I need more practice in painting my nails.  Nonetheless, all the effort was worth it because Frozen Lemonade is my perfect shade of yellow.

Holding Manhattan Mink
For Mr. and Mrs. Potato head, there was no question in my mind that Manhattan Mink was the shade I needed.  It is a creamy milk chocolate brown that surprisingly goes on very smooth.  No, it does not just go on your nails -- it glides.  It goes on thin, but it is surprisingly opaque.  I had full coverage with two coats.  

I was actually hesitant when I first saw Manhattan Mink.  I've never worn polish of this shade before.  But I fell in love the moment I applied it.  In fact, I am definitely going to wear my nails plain with this color one of these days.  So classy and effortlessly chic!

As for me and my special someone, we ended up having steak night with truffle pasta at home while watching our favorite TV series of the moment... And I have to say, it was one of the best Valentine dinners I've ever had.  Relaxed, unpretentious, and definitely filled with love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment