Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Black Butterflies on White (inspired by Anne Hathaway's SAG Awards Butterfly Manicure)

Hello Everyone!

You may have noticed that I have not been posting as many designs recently.  This is mainly because I have been obsessed with plain nude or white nails as of late.  There's just something about clean, light-colored nails that appeals to me -- when done correctly, they look very polished and sophisticated, even when nails are kept short.

But despite this recent obsession, I still miss drawing on my nails.  I therefore decided to recreate my favorite celebrity manicure from this year's SAG Awards -- Anne Hathaway's butterfly nails!

Here is my recreation:


And for those who are interested to see Anne Hathaway's nails, here is a picture of them:



My butterflies are not exactly the same as hers, but I would like to think I did a pretty good job nonetheless.  I also did not want to copy hers directly, as I wanted mine to have a touch of individuality still. :)

Instead of using a bright white polish like Anne Hathaway, I opted for Portia's Wit by Dazzle Dry.  It is an off-white color with undertones of pink/beige.  It is actually my current favorite, given my recent obsession with nudes and whites.  It strikes the perfect balance between nude and white.  I also find it quite flattering.

Here is a close-up picture of my left hand:


And my right:


I am quite happy that I picked Portia's Wit for this nail art.  I find that black on bleach white creates a very stark look, while Portia's Wit provides a warmth and softness to the design while still providing that contrast that is the essence of this design.

For those wondering how I made the butterflies -- well, there is no secret.  I used Mars Black acrylic paint together with a striper and a detailing brush, and hand-painted the butterflies.  No tricks used in this design, I'm afraid.  Just some good old-fashioned perseverance.  :)

Well, thank you very much for reading!  I hope you liked this one, and that I did the original design some justice.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment