Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Melody

My Hello Kitty nails last week reminded me of a request of a friend long ago for My Melody nail art.  I wasn't that good back then so I never got around to doing it. But now that I am more used to playing around with nail polish, here is the design I came up with...

Just like my Hello Kitty nails from last week, I opted to just decorate 1 nail, and keep the others simple with plain French tips.  Hello Kitty and My Melody are both characters that are girly enough on their own, so I prefer them played down to make the design more wearable :)

I also did the French tips this time using French manicure tape so this tutorial would be useful to those wanting to do French tips only.

Materials:
  1. Top coat
  2. Base coat
  3. Nail polish in: hot pink (or any shade you prefer), light blue-green, white, black and yellow
  4. Small dotting tool
  5. Toothpicks
  6. Tape or French manicure tape
Procedure:
After applying base coat, paint all nails pink.
Start making My Melody's face by painting a white oval on the bottom part of the ring finger.
Use a toothpick to create a small yellow nose, two big eyes. and a small mouth.  I created the flower on her head by using a dotting tool to make 5 small dots, then smudging them in with a toothpick while polish was still wet.

Put French manicure stickers or regular tape on your nails like so.  Make sure they are positioned properly so your French tips will not look lopsided.
Paint your tips blue!
Once the tips are completely dry, gently peel off the tape, top coat, and you're done!
Helpful Tips:
  1. Time is your friend! Wait longer than usual before putting on the tape.  For this design, I actually went out and had dinner first before continuing with making my French tips.  
  2. Also wait extra long before removing the tape because removing them prematurely will smudge the color.  
  3. Hello Kitty and My Melody kind of look alike.  The difference is in proportion of features.  Hello Kitty's nose is as big as her eyes, while My Melody's eyes are bigger than her nose.  Be sure to follow the proper proportions so the characters don't look weird. :)
Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment