Monday, July 30, 2012

Tribal Nails

My friend Abby Jocson posted a picture on Instagram recently of different nail designs.  One of those photos particularly caught my eye -- the tribal print-inspired nail art. The design looked so loud, colorful and unique that I felt like I just had to try making my own version.  And what I absolutely loved about this nail art is that is leaves a lot of room for individuality, since there is no strict rule on which colors to use, or what patterns to make. I even opted to leave my usual accent fingers, the thumb and ring finger, plain to highlight the contrast of green and orange. This is what I came up with:


Special thanks to Polished in the City for the blue polish I used in this design.  It is "Snowcone" by Orly :)

Materials:

  1. Base Coat
  2. Top Coat
  3. Nail polish in: Orange, Green, White, Black, Purple, Blue (or any colors you want!)
  4. Very fine paint brush
  5. Toothpick or dotting tool

Procedure:
Apply base coat. Paint thumb nail green, and the rest orange.
Start making fat and thin white stripes on the index, middle, and pinky.  Do not worry about getting polish on the skin around your nails.  Just clean up later on :)


Use your paint brush to make black straight and zig-ziag lines.  

Continue playing with colors, making stripes and dots randomly.  Have fun and be creative!

And as I always say, apply top coat, and you're done!!

I had so much fun doing this nail art that I did another design using pearlescent colors as my base.  Looks pretty, too!

Helpful Tips:
  • Use contrasting colors to maximize the impact of this design :)
  • The patterns I painted on my nails were fairly uniform, but making each nail look totally different may also work for tribal nails.
  • I found that having 2 plain nails actually pulled the look together (having overly printed nails may look "scattered").
Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment