Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Nail Tale



Hi everyone! 

Nail It Down! is a nail art blog that features instructions in creating simple nail art designs. 

Below is a short story of how my nail art addiction began, and how I came to writing this blog. :)

So first off, I would like to make it known that I am not a professional nail artist.  I am a preschool teacher by profession, and have been teaching as a private tutor to young children for the past couple of years.  This blog is simply for fun and a medium for sharing ideas with those who are willing to listen. 

My passion for nail art started summer of last year (2011). I was strolling down the mall when I decided to go into a Korean cosmetic store to check it out. I ended up buying a bottle of pearly pink nail polish. Priced at P95 I figured there's not much to lose if I do not end up liking it.

Me with my very first bottle of nail polish <3

But.. I did like it! In fact, I went back to the store the week after to buy a hot pink shade since it was summer at that time. The sales lady offered me a nail art pen to go with it. I was hesitant at first, but because it was also reasonably priced (P175, if I remember right), I decided to give it a try.  And I loved it! I fell so much in love with my striped nails that the weeks following were marked by frantic nail polish splurges and YouTube views on nail art.

Since then I progressed from simple polka dot and stripes, to flowers, to cute animals, and anything I could think of! I also graduated from simply following online tutorials to creating my own designs. 

One of my favorite original designs :)


Creating a nail art blog was far from my mind up till a few weeks ago. One of the highlights of my 2012 summer was being a finalist for The Face Shop Philippines' search for their Top Girl. I only made it to the top 20, but getting that far paved other opportunities for me. As my way of expressing my appreciation of their products, I shared pictures of my art on The Face Shop's timeline on Facebook. It was then that people really began noticing my creations. I even got invited by The Face Shop to do a live demo during their blogger party launching their Club 20 VIP card! 
At the launching of The Face Shop's Club 20 VIP Card, together with some of the other lovely Top Girl finalists and the winner, Monalyn Luna (in orange skirt)
I had the honor of doing nail art on Ms. Rikka Dylim, Inside Showbiz executive editor!
Painting the eggshells on the chick with everyone watching was like walking on eggshells!!

The finished look :)






After that event, I just had to give in. If people in the beauty industry liked my art, then maybe I do have a little bit of talent to share..

So here it is -- An instructional nail art blog. I do hope you find this useful and that you will visit this blog often :) 

Cheers!!!

1 comment: