Monday, June 18, 2012

Flintstones Nails

Hello everyone!


We all celebrated Father's Day recently, and I thought it would be interesting to make a Father's Day nail design.  First ideas that came to mind were neckties or sports. My dad, however, neither wears a tie nor plays sports so I thought it would be personally insignificant to me to make such designs.  I then remembered that as children, my siblings and I would often tease our dad about looking like Fred Flintstone (it helps that he has a temper too, like Fred! Lol). So I decided to try my hand out at actually painting Fred Flintstone and his daughter, Pebbles. 






By the way, it was my first time to make cartoon characters on my nails, so this was quite a challenge!


Materials:


  1. Base Coat
  2. Top Coat
  3. Nail polish in white, orange, and black
  4. Acrylic paint (available in bookstores or crafts stores in boxes of small tubes)
  5. Very thin paint brush
  6. Container of water for rinsing the brush
  7. Toothpicks

Procedure:
After applying base coat, paint the thumb and ring finger white, and the rest orange.  You may switch up the colors as you like, as long as 2 are white and 3 are orange.


Using the acrylic paint, start painting the shape of Fred's and Pebbles' faces.  You might need to mix your paint to get the right shades.


Continue painting the faces slowly.  This is quite difficult, so do not be frustrated. Acrylic paint wipes off with wet tissue so it is easier to work with than actual nail polish :)
Here you see I am copying a picture of Fred from Wikipedia (And as you can see, doing nail art can be really messy!)
Once you have finished painting the faces, use a toothpick to paint triangles on the orange nails to resemble Fred's leopard print outfit.  The triangles are better when placed randomly and do not need to be perfect.


And as always, finish off with top coat, and you're done!!

Helpful Tips:
  1. Acrylic paint washes off with water, so be sure to top with top coat when you're happy with your design.  Do let it dry first, though :)
  2. Acrylic paint will stain your nails so do not apply directly on your nails.  Be sure to at least have base coat on before applying acrylic paint on nails.
  3. An extra layer of top coat is advisable on nails with acrylic paint because its texture is less glossy and much rougher than nail polish.  
  4. I learned the hard way that quick drying top coat is not good for acrylic paint!! It cracks up your design. Stick to regular top coat.
Thank you for reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment