Thursday, June 7, 2012

Back to School Nails

Hello everyone!






As I have mentioned in my last post, it was after my first nail art demo that I decided to create a blog.  During that event, The Face Shop was also so kind as to give me a gift box with super nice products - Night Flower Firming Body Wash, Mini Pet Hand Cream, and Check Check Nail Set in two colors! Of course, the nail polish sets were my favorite. They are lacquers that go on extra thin, so you can create checkered patterns with the colors layering over each other. It's a little hard to explain with words, but I took pictures, which I hope will help you through this tutorial :)


My gifts from The Face Shop <3




I created this design out of gratitude to The Face Shop for both the gifts and the inspiration. And because it is June, what better design can I make but a back-to-school look featuring The Face Shop's Check Check Nail Set! So let's begin :)






Materials:


  1. Nail polish in white, green (preferably dark), yellow and red
  2. Base coat 
  3. Top coat
  4. Nail art pen in white OR a very thin paint brush
  5. Check Check Nail Set from The Face Shop
  6. Dotting tool or toothpicks 

  • If you do not have a dotting tool, you may use the rounded tip of a bobby pin as a cheap substitute :)

Procedure:

After applying base coat to clean nails, paint your nails with 1-2 thin coats of the following colors: 
          • thumb - yellow
          • index, middle, and pinky - white
          • ring finger - green











Take your 1st color from the Check Check Nail Set, and swipe diagonally on your pinky, middle, and index fingers.  Remember, for this nail design thinner is better! :)

My nails at this point reminded me of white correction fluid and highlighter I used to put on my nails as a kid! Lol ^-^




While the color from step 3 is drying, take your white nail art pen, or thin paint brush, and write A+ on your ring finger. We all hope for A+ every sem!

*helpful tip: I sometimes use acrylic paint (available in bookstores) to make fine drawings such as this on my nails. They also wipe off with wet tissue so it's great for beginners! Just be sure to apply top coat once it's dry :)





Now take your 2nd Check Check color and swipe diagonally below the 1st color.  

Don't worry if you get color on the skin outside your nails. You can always clean up after ;)








While that is drying, use your dotting tool or toothpick to slowly draw an apple on your thumb.  Remember to be gentle!! I use a dotting motion rather than swiping when doing this.  Swiping the color on may result in ruining your base color..








Next, take the 3rd color of your Check Check set and swipe towards the tips. 

You might be getting tired.. Be patient! Perseverance will pay off!





-
Now that you've probably gotten the idea of it, swipe your 3 Check Check colors towards the opposite direction. Here I chose to start with my 3rd color first for the second layer. You may choose to still start with the 1st color, just make sure to use the same middle color :)

At this point, the design is good to go with just a layer of top coat, but I chose to add one more step...



Using a white nail art pen or a thin paint brush, draw white lines along the stripes of your middle color.  This creates the illusion of crisper lines, and makes your design look preppier!

Apply 1 or 2 coats of top coat and you're done!!


No comments:

Post a Comment