Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween Nails 2012

With all the Halloween decors in malls and Trick or Treat events popping up, I thought it would be timely to create my own Halloween nail art for 2012.  I had a hard time choosing just one theme or monster, so I decided to paint the top 4 monsters that came to mind, together with a haunted house to pull the design together!  Here is my nail art with the haunted house, a witch, a vampire, Frankenstein, and a mummy!


Halloween Nail Art for 2012 by nailingitdown.blogspot.com !

Creating this look was quite difficult.  There really was no shortcut in making it -- I painted all nails with my lacquers of choice, then painted the details using acrylic paint.  

As I have been doing for a little more than a month now, I used only Dazzle Dry nail polish for the base colors.  It just makes so much sense to me to use non-toxic nail polish.  But I have to mention that I am not a paid endorser for the brand! Simply a well-satisfied customer :)

Anyway, let's carry on with how I came up with this Halloween nail art!

Materials:
  1. Nail Prep (I use this because I am using the Dazzle Dry nail polish system)
  2. Base Coat (Dazzle Dry)
  3. Top Coat (also DD!)
  4. Blue nail polish (DD Morning Sky)
  5. Pale yellow polish (DD Frozen Lemonade)
  6. Lavender polish (DD Lavender Parade)
  7. Light green polish (DD Pea Pod)
  8. White polish (DD White Lightning)
  9. Acrylic paint
  10. Fine paint brush 
  11. Small cup of water
Procedure:

After sanitizing my nails with nail prep and applying base coat, I painted all my nails with my chosen base colors.  This picture shows two coats of Frozen Lemonade, Lavender Parade and White Lightning, and three coats of Morning sky and Pea Pod.

The first step for all the nails is to create an outline of the details.

Next, fill up the spaces that need to be filled with color.

Carefully add details until you're satisfied. :)
Now that you have an idea of how I went about painting the details, here are close up shots of the other nails:
The mummy :)

Frankenstein (my personal favorite!)

The vampire (I made him purple because I remembered Count from Sesame Street was purple!)
The pale green-eyed witch!
Once you're happy with the design and the paint is all dry, top with top coat, and you're done!
It took me about two hours to finish this design, but I think it's worth it.  At least I know I have a chance at having the spookiest nails in town this week! Can't wait to spook my students out with these little monsters.  Hahaha!!

Helpful Tips:

  • I drew these monsters out of my imagination, but of course it may be helpful for you to search pictures for reference :)
  • Acrylic paint is perfect for making this design.  It dries fast and has less chances of smudging with top coat.  It is also way cheaper than having to buy all the colors in nail polish.
  • Acrylic paint can easily be erased using cotton with alcohol, so you might want to keep a bottle and some pads beside you while working.
  • Do not forget the top coat!!! The acrylic paint will wash off if you don't seal it in.
Thank you for reading!! Happy Halloween!


No comments:

Post a Comment