Sunday, September 30, 2012

Nail Art for My Three Disney Girls

Because I rarely give details about my personal life in my blogs, a lot of you probably do not know that I work as a private tutor to young children.  I love my job -- I get to spend the whole day with kids, which makes work feel like play more often than not :)  I also love the fulfillment that comes with working with children.  Last week, grades for the first quarter came out, and I was so happy to hear that all three of my Grade 1 girls got into honor roll. :D

Earlier this year, I promised these girls that whoever gets honors will get a special prize from me -- nail art!  And to keep my promise, I scheduled to do their nails the day before they had their school Mooncake Festival, where they were allowed to dress up as any storybook character. I also thought it was fitting to make their costume the inspiration for each nail design (too bad I didn't see them in their costumes, thus no pics of them with their costumes on).

A note to all: due to the fact that I did nail art on very playful kids, I was not able to take step-by-step pictures for this entry... So no tutorial for this one! :(  I still hope you will enjoy looking at the pictures and the adorable little girls :)

The three nail designs I made for the girls, and a cute cartoon of a girl painting a rainbow (from iPhone App called Cute Wallpapers) I thought the cartoon was fitting for this collage.

I used only Dazzle Dry nail polish for all the girls.  It is vegan, non-toxic, and non-yellowing so I felt better using it on them.  It also helped a whole lot that the nail polish dried so fast because these girls couldn't wait to get up and play with their freshly done nails!

The first nail design I made was for the little girl who was going to dress up as Jessie from Toy Story.  I first thought about making cow prints to match her pants but thought otherwise because she would probably like something with more color.  So instead I painted her nails blue, then painted cacti with flowers, clouds, and a sun on her ring finger.  Colors used were: Morning Sky, White Lightning, Mythic Teal + Pea Pod (to make dark green cacti), Cherry Parfait, Frozen Lemonade, and Frozen Lemonade + High Velocity Red (to make orange).

Jessie and her Desert Nails

The next nail design I made was for Little Mermaid.  This girl was so funny.  She was very talkative, and was so amazed with how fast the nail polish was drying.  I quote, "Wow! It dries so fast.  Maybe that's why it's called Dazzle Dry!" So smart.  No wonder she got into honor roll. :p

For her nails I painted them light shimmery green to match Ariel's tail.  Then, I made white bubbles and pink flowers.  I later on received a message from her mom telling me how she calls her nails "award-winning nails."  Hahaha!  Colors used were: Pea Pod, White Lightning, Cherry Parfait, Lavender Parade and Mythic Teal.

Little Mermaid and her Award-Winning nails

Lastly, I made nail art for Princess Aurora of Sleeping Beauty.  Princess Aurora's dress is a combination of dark and light pink, with accents of gold.  Therefore, I painted her nails yellow, then made little hearts of dark and light pink.  Princess Aurora was the most excitable of all my Disney girls. She kept singing and wriggling the whole time I was painting her nails! She even said, "I have the most artistic tutor of all! My friends only get stamps from their tutors.  No nail art!"  Hmm... :p  Colors used were: Frozen Lemonade, Girlishly Giddy and Cherry Parfait.

Princess Aurora loving her Hearts nail art.  She even posed in character!
After each session with these girls, I felt as happy, or probably even happier than they did.  I feel really proud of these three little girls who make work so much more fulfilling.  Their lovely smiles and giddy giggles after seeing their nails made straining my eyes to paint their tiny fingernails all worth it.  

To these three little ladies, thank you.  I love you very much.  - Teacher Ninna 

1 comment: